Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:84
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 19-02-2013
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0055

Monument Name Sts. Peter and Paul church in Mechkul
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Mechkul
Date of construction
1892 AD
Short Description It was built in 1892. Structurally it is an example of a domeless three-nave basilica with an apse in the east and an open gallery in the south. The masonry is out of stones. The roof is two-sloped, covered with roof-tiles. There are 3 metal crosses on it. The church has 2 entrances – one in the west (the main one) and another in the south. There are graves behind the apse. The bell, cast in 1898 with decorations and with church-donators’ inscriptions on it, is hung on a purposefully adapted metal construction nearby the northwestern angle of the building.
The interior of the temple is divided in three naves by 2 colonnades with wooden columns which are connected through arches. The iconostasis separates the naos from the altar, and there are wooden bars and a screen of boards between the naos and the narthex.
The roof of the middle nave is higher, made out of boards, with applications. The image of “Christ the Al-mighty” is there in the middle. The roofs of the side naves are flat and wooden.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0055

Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name Sts. Peter and Paul church in Mechkul
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Mechkul
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description It was built in 1892. Structurally it is an example of a domeless three-nave basilica with an apse in the east and an open gallery in the south. The masonry is out of stones. The roof is two-sloped, covered with roof-tiles. There are 3 metal crosses on it. The church has 2 entrances – one in the west (the main one) and another in the south. There are graves behind the apse. The bell, cast in 1898 with decorations and with church-donators’ inscriptions on it, is hung on a purposefully adapted metal construction nearby the northwestern angle of the building.
The interior of the temple is divided in three naves by 2 colonnades with wooden columns which are connected through arches. The iconostasis separates the naos from the altar, and there are wooden bars and a screen of boards between the naos and the narthex.
The roof of the middle nave is higher, made out of boards, with applications. The image of “Christ the Al-mighty” is there in the middle. The roofs of the side naves are flat and wooden.




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
1892 AD
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme Scenes from the Judgment day and the lives of St. Peter and St. Paul

Location of decoration Inner walls, iconostasis
Description of decoration The walls are whitewashed. There are some areas with frescoes on them. Over the entrances, in the western part of the naos there is a balcony, and in the eastern part we can see a step that leads to the iconostasis. The Royal Gates and the Crucifixion are wood carved and painted.
Scenes from the Judgment day are depicted on the western façade of the temple. The decoration of the inner space, the frescoes and the iconostasis, is the work (1898 – 1899) of the craftsman Mihalko Galev, a representative of the Bansko Iconography School. Here one can see really very rare scenes from the lives of St. Peter and St. Paul which makes it unique.

Related Person Mihalko Galev
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
From 1898 AD
To 1899 AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation CRDGID:185 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, icon of the 12 Apostles



CRDGID:186 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, icon of Jesus Christ



CRDGID:187 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, icon of the Nativity of Christ



CRDGID:188 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, Crucifix and Lipera from the Iconostasis



CRDGID:189 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, wall painting with St. Peter



CRDGID:190 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, wall painting with the call of St. Paul



CRDGID:191 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, wall painting with the Baptism of Christ



CRDGID:192 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, wall painting with the decapitation of St. Paul



CRDGID:193 - Mechkul, Sts. Peter and Paul church, wall painting with Sts. Barbara and Paraskevi



Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -