Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:82
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 19-02-2013
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0054
Monument Name The Dormition of Virgin Mary Church in Bansko
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Bansko
Date of construction
Short Description The church is a spacious single-nave building with a narthex. It is situated in the cemetery park in the north end of the town. It was made out of stone and flat bricks. The building was deeply dug into the ground. The apse is semicircular and relatively small. There are two entrances – at the west wall of the narthex and at the southwest corner of the naos.
We do not know what time the church was built. There are graffiti on the stones of the south façade of the naos dating from 1593, 1711, 1737 and 1774. The building was later reconstructed.
The vast interior space is poorly lighted by loopholes and windows.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0054
Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name The Dormition of Virgin Mary Church in Bansko
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Bansko
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description The church is a spacious single-nave building with a narthex. It is situated in the cemetery park in the north end of the town. It was made out of stone and flat bricks. The building was deeply dug into the ground. The apse is semicircular and relatively small. There are two entrances – at the west wall of the narthex and at the southwest corner of the naos.
We do not know what time the church was built. There are graffiti on the stones of the south façade of the naos dating from 1593, 1711, 1737 and 1774. The building was later reconstructed.
The vast interior space is poorly lighted by loopholes and windows.




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme
Location of decoration Iconostasis
Description of decoration The iconostasis is composed of base panels, sovereign icons, an apostolic tier, a trellis vine and a holy cross at the top.
The base panels show various designs forming twigs, rosettes, medallions, birds, lions and double headed eagles.
The royal doors have three tiers of medallions, portraying four prophets, the Annunciation and four church fathers. Round medallions encircled by pigeons are placed on the trellis vine. The holy cross is richly decorated, with two dragons, vases with lofty flower bouquets and pigeons. Most likely the iconostasis at the church of Bansko was constructed in 1801 during the temple reconstruction.
The iconostasis and the icons in particular were considerably damaged by the fire which broke out in 1956. They were painted by Toma Vishanov – Molera - the founder of the Bansko Iconographic School. In 1930 a part of the iconostasis was cut off and probably was taken abroad.
The apostolic tier is the oldest of all and most probably dates back to the end of XVIII century, portraying icons by Toma Vishanov.

Related Person Toma Vishanov
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
1801 AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation
Notes -


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Woodcut
Decoration theme
Location of decoration Bishop's throne
Description of decoration The bishop’s throne is done by the carver who also designed the main section of the iconostasis. An icon with carved frame is mounted on the back. The ciborium is “hanging” with no dome-shaped cover.
Related Person -
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation
Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -