Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:73
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 28-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0051
Monument Name St. George church in Sandanski
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Sandanski
Date of construction
1939 AD
Short Description It is situated not far away from the town’s centre. Its construction is similar to that of “St. Alexander Nevsky” cathedral in Sofia. The initiative for its building up was taken in 1928 when Atanas Hadjishopov donated a piece of his own land. Nevertheless due to various reasons the laying of the foundations became a reality no sooner than 1939. The design of the church was done by architect Ognyanov from Sofia and the construction activities were taken up by a group of master-builders from the region of Tran together with the investor and master-builder Yosif.
During the Second World War the building stopped. In 1951the Church Board presided over by Angel Stolinchev took up the initiative for finishing the temple and was implemented by the newly created Holy Synod’s building organization “Synstroy”.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0051
Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name St. George church in Sandanski
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Sandanski
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description It is situated not far away from the town’s centre. Its construction is similar to that of “St. Alexander Nevsky” cathedral in Sofia. The initiative for its building up was taken in 1928 when Atanas Hadjishopov donated a piece of his own land. Nevertheless due to various reasons the laying of the foundations became a reality no sooner than 1939. The design of the church was done by architect Ognyanov from Sofia and the construction activities were taken up by a group of master-builders from the region of Tran together with the investor and master-builder Yosif.
During the Second World War the building stopped. In 1951the Church Board presided over by Angel Stolinchev took up the initiative for finishing the temple and was implemented by the newly created Holy Synod’s building organization “Synstroy”.




Measurements
Type of Measurement Length
Part/ Phenomenon measured Church
Coordinates of part measured
Measurement Value 32
Measurement Unit Meter
Measurement Instrument Tape measure
Date of Measurement
Responsible for Measurement -
Notes The church is 32m long and 8m wide. In height it reaches up to 20m and has a marble footing. The central dome is half-round and serves as a belfry. The area around the temple is turned into a park and around 800 tree and bush species have been planted.


Measurements
Type of Measurement Width
Part/ Phenomenon measured Church
Coordinates of part measured
Measurement Value 8
Measurement Unit Meter
Measurement Instrument Tape measure
Date of Measurement
Responsible for Measurement -
Notes -


Measurements
Type of Measurement Height
Part/ Phenomenon measured Church
Coordinates of part measured
Measurement Value 20
Measurement Unit Meter
Measurement Instrument Tape measure
Date of Measurement
Responsible for Measurement -
Notes -


Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
1939 AD
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme Palm Sunday
Presentation of the Holy Virgin to the Temple
Location of decoration It is located on the northern wall of the church.

It is located on the southern wall of the church.

Description of decoration The iconostasis is made of cement, and is coated in artificial marble. Later on wooden coating with woodcarving was put upon the old one. The frescoes of the temple were done during 1964-1967 by Nikolay Shelehov. The images on the walls follow the Byzantium tradition in the Russian Renaissance.
In the altar under the dome one can see “The Holy Mother of God More Spacious Than the Heavens” (Platytera) with angels above, while one of them is holding a wreath above Her head. At the Sacrificial altar we can see the scene of “The Birth of Christ” with all the details in the cave where Jesus was born – the righteous Joseph, the Holy Mother with the Baby Boy, the feeding-trough with straw in it, the star, the pilgrimage of the three Magi from the east. Also the scenes of “The resurrection of Christ” and “The Epiphany”.
The southern wall represents “The Presentation of the Holy Virgin to the Temple”, and the northern one – “The Lord’s entrance into Jerusalem” – Palm Sunday. On the central dome there is an image of Jesus Christ that is big 5m by 3m, and we can see the prophets around Him. In the woman’s section “The Dormition of the Virgin Mary” is depicted.

Related Person Nikolay Shelehov
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
From 1964 AD
To 1967 AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique Fresco
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation CRDGID:40 - Sandanski, St. George church, wall painting "Palm Sunday"



CRDGID:41 - Sandanski, St. George church, wall painting "Presentation of the Holy Virgin to the Temple"



CRDGID:42 - Sandanski, St. George church, wall painting "Presentation of the Holy Virgin to the Temple"



Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -