Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:65
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 28-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0044

Monument Name St. Nicholas church in Kovachevitsa
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Kovachevitsa
Date of construction
From 1841 AD
To 1847 AD
Short Description It is located in the eastern end of the village of Kovachevitsa. The building of the church started in 1841 and finished in 1847. Until then the religious rituals were held in the “St. Paraskevi” chapel, in a vicinity called Elata (the Fir tree). Some of the icons of that chapel were moved to the new church.
The temple is designed like a three-nave basilica with a big half-round apse in the east and an open gallery in the west. Next to it, in the north-west in 1893 a 4-storied belfry and a school were erected. The buildings are surrounded by a stony masonry.
The church was built of uncut stones, the western façade is whitewashed and the rest of the facades are grouted. The roof ledge is stony, with a complex profile. The roof is two-sloped with cut western and eastern ends, and is covered with stone tiles – so called “tikli”.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0044

Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name St. Nicholas church in Kovachevitsa
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Kovachevitsa
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description It is located in the eastern end of the village of Kovachevitsa. The building of the church started in 1841 and finished in 1847. Until then the religious rituals were held in the “St. Paraskevi” chapel, in a vicinity called Elata (the Fir tree). Some of the icons of that chapel were moved to the new church.
The temple is designed like a three-nave basilica with a big half-round apse in the east and an open gallery in the west. Next to it, in the north-west in 1893 a 4-storied belfry and a school were erected. The buildings are surrounded by a stony masonry.
The church was built of uncut stones, the western façade is whitewashed and the rest of the facades are grouted. The roof ledge is stony, with a complex profile. The roof is two-sloped with cut western and eastern ends, and is covered with stone tiles – so called “tikli”.




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
From 1841 AD
To 1847 AD
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme
Location of decoration
Description of decoration The interior is divided in three naves by two colonnades each consisting of 6 wooden columns connected by arches. They are painted with decorative motives and motives of plants. Over the columns square icons with images of prophets are depicted.
The roof of the middle nave is higher, made of boards. The image of “Christ the Al-mighty” is in its center. The roofs of the side naves are flat, wooden and with colorful figures.
The walls of the temple are smoothly plastered and without frescoes. The floor is covered with wooden flooring.
The iconostasis is paneled, embellished with decorative motives, woodcarving and with live scenes.
In oval medallions on the footing panels are depicted 10 scenes from “The Six Days”.
On the sovereign tier of the iconostasis there are 12 icons painted by two icon-painters. They represent the images of St. Basil the Great, St. Constantine and St. Helen, St. Archangel Michael, St. Nicolas, The Holy Mother of God, Christ the Al-mighty, St. John the Baptist, St. Athanasios, St. Elias the prophet and St. Spiridonos, all of them done in 1848 by an icon-painter from Melnik called Yakov Nikolai. He is also the author of 32 pieces of work - the festive and the apostles’ icons dating from 1848. The icons of “St. George” and “St. Dimitrius” were added to the two ends of the iconostasis in 1861 and were done by Sergi Georgiev.

Related Person Yakov Nikolai
Sergi Georgiev
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
From 1848 AD
To 1861 AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation CRDGID:37 - Kovachevitsa, St. Nicholas church, iconostasis



CRDGID:38 - Kovachevitsa, St. Nicholas church, iconostasis



CRDGID:62 - Kovachevitsa, icon of Virgin Mary holding Child



CRDGID:63 - Kovachevitsa, icon of Sts. Cyril and Methodius



Notes -


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Woodcut
Decoration theme
Location of decoration Royal Gates, Crucifixion
Description of decoration The Royal Gates and the Crucifixion are wood carved and gold-plated. Plant ornaments and figures of birds are cut on the Holy Gates. The woodcarving is deep, here and there – hemstitched. Archangel Gabriel and Virgin Mary from “The Annunciation” together with the four figures of the church fathers beneath them are written out with microscopic precision. The Crucifixion is big, composed and well done. Under the crucifix, in a round medallion a donator’s inscription is written out: “Stoyan Givez Dosto 1848”. Behind the north figure of the dragon there is another donator’s inscription: “Living. Stoil. Dead ones. Stoyou, Dala, Dimiana, Stoanka, Giveza”.
Related Person -
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
1848 AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation CRDGID:37 - Kovachevitsa, St. Nicholas church, iconostasis



CRDGID:38 - Kovachevitsa, St. Nicholas church, iconostasis



Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -