Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:64
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 28-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0043
Monument Name The Dormition of Virgin Mary church in Gotse Delchev
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Gotse Delchev
Date of construction
From 1833 AD
To 1841 AD
Short Description It is located in a public garden, nearby Gotse Delchev square in the town center, in the former Varosha neighborhood. Although impressive in size, it remains barely noticeable, hidden under the crowns of numerous trees.
Around 1830, the population of Nevrokop obtained permission for the construction of a new church. And the church’s construction was initiated in 1833, however it was further suspended because of a plague epidemic that struck the town. The temple was consecrated in 1838; yet the finishing works did not end until 1841.
The temple is a three-nave pseudo-basilica with an apse oriented to the east. The open gallery in the southwest corner was reconstructed into a chapel. The building is made of stones and bricks in successive layers. Components of the old church (capitals and columns) were integrated in the structure.
At the beginning of the XX century, in 1904, a belfry was attached. There are two temple bells, with a vibrant, clear sound.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form Church
Monument type according to use Worship
Ritual
Monument type according to construction Built construction
Monument type according to location Parish church
Architectural type Basilica
Notes Three-aisled basilica




Code
Code CHURCH0043
Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name The Dormition of Virgin Mary church in Gotse Delchev
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Gotse Delchev
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description It is located in a public garden, nearby Gotse Delchev square in the town center, in the former Varosha neighborhood. Although impressive in size, it remains barely noticeable, hidden under the crowns of numerous trees.
Around 1830, the population of Nevrokop obtained permission for the construction of a new church. And the church’s construction was initiated in 1833, however it was further suspended because of a plague epidemic that struck the town. The temple was consecrated in 1838; yet the finishing works did not end until 1841.
The temple is a three-nave pseudo-basilica with an apse oriented to the east. The open gallery in the southwest corner was reconstructed into a chapel. The building is made of stones and bricks in successive layers. Components of the old church (capitals and columns) were integrated in the structure.
At the beginning of the XX century, in 1904, a belfry was attached. There are two temple bells, with a vibrant, clear sound.




Construction
Construction Phase Construction
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
From 1833 AD
To 1841 AD
Historical period Post Byzantine
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials Stone
Wood
Brick
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme
Location of decoration Roof, pulpit, lectern, bishop's throne, iconostasis
Description of decoration The ceilings of the naos and the altar are flat and wooden, containing lots of ornaments.
The pulpit, the lectern and the bishop’s throne are also decorated with drawings and beautiful wood carvings.
The iconostasis is a central element of the interior. The icons on the iconostasis are positioned in 4 tiers. The bigger icons are these of the sovereign tier.
At the second icon tier there are 23, at the third – 25, and at the fourth – 13 icons.
Most of the icons in the church have been painted in the period 1846-1862. Some of the icons on the iconostasis were created by Dimitar T. Molerov of Bansko. While most of the smaller icons on the iconostasis were made by Sergi Georgiev from Nevrokop.

Related Person Dimitar Τ. Molerov
Sergi Georgiev
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
From 1846 AD
To 1862 AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation
Notes -


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Woodcut
Decoration theme
Location of decoration Pulpit, lectern and bishop’s throne
Description of decoration The pulpit, the lectern and the bishop’s throne are also decorated with drawings and beautiful wood carvings.
Related Person -
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation
Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -