Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:61
Type of record Group of monuments
Date of record 28-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code MONAST0008

Monument Name Mother Of God Life Giving Spring Monastery near by Gotse Delchev
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Gotse Delchev
Date of construction
From 1898 AD
To 1901 AD
Short Description It is located at the southwest of the town, on the road to the village of Delchevo. It was built on the foundations of an older church, from which columns, capitals and fragments of a carved marble frieze were preserved. Old graves and a holy spring were found by the monastery wall.
There is a stone slab above the entrance of the monastery church which testifies that the reconstruction of the monastery began on March 1st 1888. A small icon was found during the preparation of the terrain and cleaning of the ruins of the ancient building.
At first, a stone wall, an outside wash basin and a stronghold were erected. The construction of the monastery church together with rooms for pilgrims began in 1898. The church was consecrated in July 1901. There were monk cells behind the church. Until 1912 the income from the monastery’s properties was used for the maintenance of the schools in the town. In 1949 a fire destroyed the rooms intended for pilgrims and the monk cells.
It was converted into a nunnery in March 1998. During the same year complete renovation and further construction works were also initiated.
The monastery has two feasts. The first one is the Mother of God Life Giving Spring which is celebrated on Light Friday. This day is remembered by the local people as the “little Easter”. The second feast is in honor of St. Panteleimon commemorated on 27th July.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code MONAST0008

Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name Mother Of God Life Giving Spring Monastery near by Gotse Delchev
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Gotse Delchev
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description It is located at the southwest of the town, on the road to the village of Delchevo. It was built on the foundations of an older church, from which columns, capitals and fragments of a carved marble frieze were preserved. Old graves and a holy spring were found by the monastery wall.
There is a stone slab above the entrance of the monastery church which testifies that the reconstruction of the monastery began on March 1st 1888. A small icon was found during the preparation of the terrain and cleaning of the ruins of the ancient building.
At first, a stone wall, an outside wash basin and a stronghold were erected. The construction of the monastery church together with rooms for pilgrims began in 1898. The church was consecrated in July 1901. There were monk cells behind the church. Until 1912 the income from the monastery’s properties was used for the maintenance of the schools in the town. In 1949 a fire destroyed the rooms intended for pilgrims and the monk cells.
It was converted into a nunnery in March 1998. During the same year complete renovation and further construction works were also initiated.
The monastery has two feasts. The first one is the Mother of God Life Giving Spring which is celebrated on Light Friday. This day is remembered by the local people as the “little Easter”. The second feast is in honor of St. Panteleimon commemorated on 27th July.




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
From 1898 AD
To 1901 AD
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -