Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:15
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 03-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -

Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0008
Monument Name St. Athanasios in Palaiokastro
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Neapolis and Stavroupolis
Location Name Palaiokastro in Thessaloniki
Date of construction
1864 AD
Short Description The current settlement of Pentalofos (near Oreokastro) is the historical continuation of the settlement "Daout Bali", initially a village and later a manor of the “nahiye” [=province] of Lagadas. As we learn from the founding inscription on the lintel of the west entrance the church was "renovated" in 1864. The original church was probably destroyed by fire.
It is a three-aisled, wooden-roofed basilica, without a narthex, but with open galleries (loggia) to the south and west side of the church. In its masonry, which was deposed by the novel mortars, marble spolia from earlier pagan and Christian monuments were discovered.
Among the relics of the church the interesting collection of icons of the 19th century stands out (one icon of the 16th century [!] of Italian-Cretan school is located on the iconostasis).