Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:15
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 03-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0008
Monument Name St. Athanasios in Palaiokastro
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Neapolis and Stavroupolis
Location Name Palaiokastro in Thessaloniki
Date of construction
1864 AD
Short Description The current settlement of Pentalofos (near Oreokastro) is the historical continuation of the settlement "Daout Bali", initially a village and later a manor of the “nahiye” [=province] of Lagadas. As we learn from the founding inscription on the lintel of the west entrance the church was "renovated" in 1864. The original church was probably destroyed by fire.
It is a three-aisled, wooden-roofed basilica, without a narthex, but with open galleries (loggia) to the south and west side of the church. In its masonry, which was deposed by the novel mortars, marble spolia from earlier pagan and Christian monuments were discovered.
Among the relics of the church the interesting collection of icons of the 19th century stands out (one icon of the 16th century [!] of Italian-Cretan school is located on the iconostasis).




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0008
Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name St. Athanasios in Palaiokastro
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Neapolis and Stavroupolis




Origin / Location
Location Name Palaiokastro in Thessaloniki
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description The current settlement of Pentalofos (near Oreokastro) is the historical continuation of the settlement "Daout Bali", initially a village and later a manor of the “nahiye” [=province] of Lagadas. As we learn from the founding inscription on the lintel of the west entrance the church was "renovated" in 1864. The original church was probably destroyed by fire.
It is a three-aisled, wooden-roofed basilica, without a narthex, but with open galleries (loggia) to the south and west side of the church. In its masonry, which was deposed by the novel mortars, marble spolia from earlier pagan and Christian monuments were discovered.
Among the relics of the church the interesting collection of icons of the 19th century stands out (one icon of the 16th century [!] of Italian-Cretan school is located on the iconostasis).




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
1864 AD
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Informative text of N. Toutos, "The historical churches and relics of the Diocese of Neapolis and Stavroupolis. A first presentation"
Related Person Toutos N.
Related Institution -
Notes -