Wednesday Oct 16

  1. Basic Information
  2. Classification
  3. Identification
  4. Documentation
  5. Correlations
  6. Rights
  7. Resources

Sts. Cosmas and Damian church in Sandanski

print all


  • Code
    Code CHURCH0052

    Other Codes
    Source / Origin




  • Name
    Monument Name Sts. Cosmas and Damian church in Sandanski
    Source / Origin




  • Institution
    Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop


  • Group



  • Origin / Location
    Location Name Sandanski
    Address
    Prefecture
    Country
    Coordinates Χ1
    Coordinates Χ2
    Coordinates Y1
    Coordinates Y2
    Coordinates Z1
    Coordinates Z2
    Meausurement Method
    Measurement Accuracy
    Geodetic Coordinate System
    Notes
    Map location




  • Short Description
    Short Description The “Sts. Cosmas and Damianos” church was built in 1861. This is proved by an inscription above the entrance door. The piece of land, on which it was built, had been donated by the Popovski family from St. Vrach village (today’s town of Sandanski ). Initially, church books in Greek were introduced into the service, and after 1871 – in church-slavonic. A special room for school purposes was built up in its porch in 1875. In 1997, the church along with the area around it was renewed.
    The church represents a three-nave basilica with small, square windows on the southern and eastern walls. The roofs are casetted and flat with attractive board applications over the central nave. The woman’s section is defined in the western part. The wood carved iconostasis together with the Royal Gates and the Crucifixion are objects of a great value.


  • Measurements

  • Inscription / Mark



  • Condition State