Tuesday Sep 24

  1. Basic Information
  2. Classification
  3. Identification
  4. Documentation
  5. Correlations
  6. Rights
  7. Resources

Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas

print all


  • Code
    Code CHURCH0004
    Other Codes
    Source / Origin




  • Name
    Monument Name Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas
    Source / Origin


  • Group



  • Origin / Location
    Location Name Alexandroupolis in Evros
    Address
    Prefecture
    Country
    Coordinates Χ1
    Coordinates Χ2
    Coordinates Y1
    Coordinates Y2
    Coordinates Z1
    Coordinates Z2
    Meausurement Method
    Measurement Accuracy
    Geodetic Coordinate System
    Notes
    Map location




  • Short Description
    Short Description In the heart of Alexandroupolis and on its unique hill the Holy Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of the city, is built. The history of Alexandroupolis is intertwined with the Cathedral of St. Nicholas and it is known that the church, on the one hand the small original church and on the other hand the latest grand one we all know today, was the first cell for the development in the city. The church, blessing, source of pride, strength and hope for the people of our city, has experienced glories and tribulations, joys and sorrows.
    The Church of St. Nicholas was built originally in 1860 at the corner of today's roads Mazaraki K. and K. Paleologos, where today lies the park of the Mitropoleos Square. In 1890 the seat of the Metropolitan of the Province of Ainos was transferred to Alexandroupolis and gave a greater value to its future role in the region. After that the planning to build a new church started, in order to replace the little old one. The new majestic Cathedral of St. Nicholas was founded in 1892 and inaugurated in 1901 by the then Metropolitan of Ainos, Germanos Theotokas.
    It is a stone basilica with a dome and two towers that were erected in 1908 with a donation from the Austro-Hungarian consul, Vlasios Souchor. Inside the church in 1920 the protocol for the City’s liberation was signed. Its iconostasis is “work of Pergaminelli from Mytilene, 1932”. Inside the church images and relics are kept, such as the carved image of the Virgin Tryfotissa, a work of the 13th century by Ainos, the image of Our Lady Mavroforousa, brought in Greece by refugees from Eastern Thrace, and the Holy Head of Nicholas, one of the forty witnesses.


  • Measurements

  • Inscription / Mark



  • Condition State